Working hours: Mon-Fri (10:00 - 18:00)

The juvenile tried to commit suicide because of the alleged psychological violence perpetrated by the employees of the investigative body

2019-12-13 13:32
Featured image

On December 11th 2019, a juvenile attempted suicide because of alleged psychological abuse committed by the staff of an investigative body. He jumped from the 9th floor of a residential block of flats and is currently in a comatose state.

The attempted suicide was preceded by a juvenile interrogation at the First Department of the Didube-Chughureti police station on December 10th, 2019 (at about 17:00 – 23:00 pm) and on December 11th (around 11:00-12: 00 pm), where he became a victim of psychological violence by police officers.

The juvenile was forced to confess the crime by means of psychological violence from the staff members of the investigative body who were investigating the crime, otherwise, they were threatening that his brother would face some problems and that he would have to spend a long time imprisoned in an institution where his liberty is deprived. The psychological violence and intimidation from the police officers were so intense and real that the juvenile fell ill during the interview and requested medical attention, but this assistance was not provided. The juvenile's mother was also present at the interrogation process, though a juvenile was left alone with the police officers at some point.

On December 12th, 2019, GYLA applied to the Investigative Service of the State Inspectorate with a purpose to launch an investigation. The investigation was launched on the basis of Article 335 of the Criminal Code, which means coercion of a person by deception, blackmail or other unlawful act to get a testimony.

It is important that the Investigative Service of the State Inspectorate carry out all the necessary investigative actions and the necessary investigative steps on a timely manner, including, to withdraw from the First Department of the Didube-Chugureti police station the video surveillance records, as well as carry out an immediate identification of all the persons who were nevertheless performing investigative activities and were involved in communication with the juvenile. The time of entry into and coming out of a juvenile from the department should also be studied within the framework of the investigation. It is also necessary to study the electronic system of case management of MIA staff, in order to determine in what hours and what kind of documentation was collected while the juvenile was held at the department.

At the same time, the investigation on incitement to suicide is being carried out by the very department where the juvenile was subjected to violence and coercion. The juvenile's personal computer and cellphone were seized as part of the investigation. Accordingly, there is a danger that the evidence relevant to the case may be destroyed and impede the thorough investigation of the case. 

We call on:

- The Investigation Service of the State Inspectorate – timely conduct effective, objective and impartial investigation on the fact of unlawful conduct towards a juvenile at the police station;

- The Prosecutor's Office of Georgia - to subject the case of incitement to suicide for the investigation to the State Inspectorate Service.