On June 25, at the press conference the chairman of the Georgian Young Lawyers’ Association: Giorgi Chkheidze and the lawyer of GYLA/Rustavi office discussed violations of the Georgian United Power Distribution company.
For the last three months, nearly 71 citizens applied to GYLA/Rustavi office for legal assistance. Rustavi population declares that even though meters where installed everywhere, electricity company considers the figures unreal and imposes additional payments on population.
Moreover, population also emphasizes other violations of the Power Distribution Company. In particular:
- The electricity company imposes levies on the family event when a customer leaves the apartment for more than a month and the meter stops working;
- one of the customers received the electricity tax in the amount of GEL 17 000;
- one and the same customer receives two different checks, both of them are send on the similar address, with indication of various taxes;
- in case the lock of the meter is damaged in a closed environment (only representatives of electricity supply firm have a contact with it) the customer is still penalized;
- customers still have to pay electricity payment even when the meter is switched off for several years and when the electricity distributor made up a report;
- penalized families, who were cut electricity still receive conditional taxes
The GYLA/Rustavi office considers the fact as violation of the beneficiaries’ rights and protects some of them at the court hearing. At the briefing representatives of the power distribution company also made a comment. They declared that in the nearest future they will study all the cases in details and solve the problem.
Moreover, GYLA will send the special appeal to the Georgian Energy Regulation Company and ask it to establish the ad hoc working group in order to solve the problem.