The chairperson of the Georgian Young Lawyers’ Association-Anna Dolidze and the director of GYLA Rule of Law Program visited Adjara region on March 28-29. The aim of the visit was to meet with the representatives of local NGOs and discussed problems and existed situation in the region.
Nearly 30 participants from various NGOs attended the meeting held in Batumi, GYLA Adjara branch office. Participants discussed topical issues and the role of civil sector in the process and set plans for further cooperation. Following issues were identified from the discussed problems:
• Activities of Adjara region;
• Self-censorship of local media;
• Judiciary problems;
• Relationships of the government of autonomous republic and the high council;
• Situation in education sphere
On March 29, Anna Dolidze visited penitentiary #3 and met with prisoners.
The next meeting was held in Kutaisi with NGO representatives from Imereti and Samegrelo regions. Following topics were noteworthy
• Activities of local mass media
• The practice of “selective” detention on Samegrelo-Abkhazeti boarder
• Electricity supply
• Problems in self-governance
• Situation in penitentiaries