Yesterday, May 12, the Georgian Young Lawyers' Association hosted an online panel discussion: "Georgia`s Road to EU Membership: Where Do We Stand?" The discussion featured:
- Diégo Colas, Ambassador of France to Georgia;
- Andrius Kalindra, Ambassador of Lithuania to Georgia;
- Nicholas Cendrowicz, Deputy Head of Unit in the Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations, European Commission;
- Laure Delcour, Author of the Assessment Report on the Implementation of the Association Agreement (AA) Between the EU and Georgia written for the European Parliament;
- Vano Chkhikvadze, EU Integration Program Manager of Open Society Georgia Foundation.
The speakers assessed the possible impact of the current war in Ukraine on the EU enlargement policy and the perspectives of European integration of the Association Trio countries. They also discussed the ongoing procedure of reviewing Georgia's application for EU membership and its expected results and stressed the importance of the Charles Michel Agreement and the Association Agreement agenda. Notably, the Ambassadors and the representative of the European Commission highlighted the decrease in political polarization and the independence of the judiciary as key factors for Georgia`s successful integration in the European Union.
The full recording of the discussion can be found here: https://bit.ly/3PvdyBN